Sunday, August 31, 2008

Milan: City Tour On Foot

 While we were in Milan in 2008, we did two walking tours, of about two hours each. We made the paths up as we went along, but we always had a specific destination in mind. Here is a photo I took while peeking into a courtyard on Via Borgonuovo.
 Stepping into the courtyard (yes I'm a brave soul) this is what it looked like to the left.
 The purpose of this trip was to find the famous Brera Art Gallery (Pinacoteca di Brera) and we meandered through the confusing streets in search of it. At the point where we thought it should be, we saw this courtyard, so we walked in.
 There was beautiful artwork as this piece in the courtyard, but every room along the edge was full of what appeared to be art students, creating sculpture, etc on their own.
 Fearing we were in the wrong place, we exited. Now, having done more reading, I find we were in the right place! The students were there because the building also houses the Brera Academy. Oh well, we will definitely be coming back to this building in 2010.
 We explored a few shops in the area then headed back to the nearest Metro station. On Via Borgonuovo again, this entryway intrigued me so I took a photo. Doing research, I have found that this is the world headquarters for Giorgio Armani.
 Another courtyard that intrigued me on the same block.
 On a separate day, we found ourselves over by Sforza Castle, wanting to be on Corso Buenos Aries so we could shop for clothes. Me being a thinking man, I decided it would be a nice walk so we could see the city. So off we went on foot.
 We cross many avenues...
 ...saw this Citroen that appeared jailed in this estate...
 ...passed right by the available mass transit...
 ...and saw this gas station on the side of the road. It is the only gas station I remember seeing, and it was t-i-n-y. That is the avenue in front of the station, and the station consisted of that tiny shack and two pumps (the pumps are behind the silver car).
This is the same station from another angle. Milanese visitors to the US must think our gas stations are massive!
It was at this point where it began sprinkling and my wife began to question the wisdom of her husband. Had it started pouring, I would be questioning my wisdom too. As it turned out, we did make it to Corso Buenos Aries relatively dry, but a bit tired. We didn't have much energy left for spending money. What a plan! Actually, had I known the walk was so long, I would have hailed a taxi. I would have enjoyed more time for shopping. Lesson learned.






No comments: