Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Pompeii: Leaving the city

 And so we leave, exhausted yet thrilled, this wonderfully preserved city that has intrigued our society for hundreds of years.
 To exist, visitors must pass through the remains of the Temple of Venus, which afforded wonderful views of the surrounding terrain. This one lonely pillar is all that remains upright.
 The earthquake that was followed just a few years later by the eruption has taken its toll on this temple.

As we walk through the temple towards the exit turnstiles, we begin to reflect. Was it worth the trip? Most definitely, YES.
 Did we learn anything? The biggest lesson to me is that you can study an area for decades via books, photos and online resources (as I have done) and never get a true feel for the area. To truly understand, one must visit the place in person.

 Photos and books can give you an idea about whether it is a place you'd like to visit, but they can in no way portray the weather, the true way the buildings and their relationship to each other feel in person, and just the general mood of the area.
And staying in Sorrento and the surrounding areas, I definitely got the feeling that while a lot has changed in 2000 years, not a lot has changed in 2000 years. I think it has the same laid back atmosphere, the same taste for the finer things in life (especially along the Amalfi coast), the same spectacular views and beautiful weather. Yes, the mood of the region still exists
If the Roman ruins has never piqued your interest, then you can probably safely skip this area. But if you have been fascinated with it like I have, then you've got to vist at least once in your life. And there are plenty of people like us since Pompeii is the most popular tourist attraction in Italy, attracting about 2 million visitors a year.
Which brings me to my last point. Time will definitely take it's toll on these ruins. There is no practical way to keep the sun, the rain, the tourists, and the invasion of plant roots from slowly deteriorating the ruins. In other words: the sooner you visit, the better. Take care and I hope you've enjoyed the tour.



1 comment:

Paula H. said...

I found your page with all of its glorious photos and the descriptions while reviewing a news article that came out about Herculaneum and the skeletons in the boat houses. I have always been intrigued and extremely interested in all things Pompeii and Herculaneum and I love archeology, so this has been a great blessing to find! I may never be able to go there, and even if I could, I doubt I could walk through much of it as I have herniated discs that don't allow much distance walking. Thank you! Thank you for posting and narrating. I have thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Herculaneum and Pompeii today!